Simple Antennas for Schools

Suggestions for and practical usage of antennas

Moderator: pa3weg

Re: Simple Antennas for Schools

Postby G3VDB » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi Ted,

I haven't looked for commercial antennas, only how to build one. For $221, I'd want a whole rig or at least a Funcube Dongle!. If you email me I'll send you some notes I did for Paul rather than extend this topic.

jimevans at callsign dot com will do it if it is not available from the user info here.
Jim Evans
Chelford, Cheshire
G3VDB

Postby SGAARC » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:11 pm

SGAARC wrote:It will be interesting to see what is blocking the signals. From the above something blocked the signal at a fairly high point in the pass. Not too sure what we can do about it though :(

Just goes to show what notice I take of my surroundings. The antenna is mounted on a single storey block at the side of the main school building. It's our school blocking the signal! Unfortunately we are unable to have the antenna mounted on the main building. If we could then nothing would block it.

Paul
M0HNF
SGAARC

Postby DarrinVK3 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:13 pm

I've had acceptable success running a funcube dongle with a 1/4 groundplane mounted close to the ground in the yard with 20m of RG58. Antenna was made from 5 coat hangers using a HF wip mount. Built a tape measure 3 elem beam this week and will test that this weekend on the telemetry beacon and transponder downlink. 73's
DarrinVK3

Previous

Return to Antennas