Now that FUNcube-1 is safely in orbit and we have been able to characterise its functionality we are now proceeding as quickly as possible with the next phase of the project – developing the resources to support the regular use of the spacecraft in schools and colleges around the world.
We are already aware of a number of schools that are using FUNcube-1
A lot of details about the spacecraft and the “groundstation” software etc can already be found on these pages http://funcube.org.uk/working-documents/
Now at the beginning of December 2013 we have a working satellite in space and the Dashboard User Interface on the ground plus the Central Data Warehouse running. Our plans for the further development of the educational uses are as follows:
• Finalise the development of the Dashboard User Interface.
• Finalise the development of the Data Warehouse.
• Determine the best/most practical antennas for school and college use - and arrange their availability.
• Ensure good availability of the FUNcube Dongle radio receiver.
• Develop a full set of all the necessary resource materials for teachers and students to get the greatest benefit from this project. These will be made available in both written and video formats.
We are already working with a number of individuals and organisations to complete this work as quickly as possible over the next few months and it will all be made freely available when completed.
If you would like to become involved in this work please post a reply here. We would, of course, welcome your assistance!