FUNcube-1 at Someries Junior School

The main aim of the FUNcube project is provide educationalists access to information about a real spacecraft in Low Earth Orbit. Please use this forum to discuss classroom projects and similar matters. FUNcube support is provided elsewhere in the forum.

Moderators: pa3weg, g4dpz, admin

FUNcube-1 at Someries Junior School

Postby Ted » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:46 pm

At about 9’oclock in the morning on Friday 6th December 2013, I set-up a PC, dongle and Turnstile antenna at Someries Junior School in Luton. The Dashboard was displayed on my PC, which also dispayed a frequency spectrum and waterfall, using SDRSharp. FUNcube-1 was tracked with Orbitron on a separate monitor and the Warehouse was displayed on a second PC. I was early enough to catch and upload 4 frames for the pass of about 15 degrees at 9.45 am, which showed me that the system was working. About 10 minutes before the 69 degree pass, that was predicted for 11.16, a helpful computer technician noticed that my PC was running on batteries and the charge was about to run out! The 13 amp power supply plug for the computer had not been pushed home firmly enough. This was quickly remedied and disaster avoided.
The children from the Science Club, the Head, and others gathered around the set-up at 11.15, watched the arrival of the satellite on Orbitron, and saw and heard the strengthening signals on SDRSharp. One child was assigned to call-out the numbers of collected frames as they showed-up on the Dashboard and another called out my call-sign, each time it appeared on the Warehouse display. Thirty-two frames were uploaded.
When the pass was over I spent a few minutes displaying some of the graphs and explaining a little of the data, before the children returned to their regular classes. All enjoyed the demonstration and I was relieved that it was successful.
Ted, G3YWA
Ted

Re: FUNcube-1 at Someries Junior School

Postby Lauriston » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:53 am

Well done, Ted. This is in the true spirit of educational outreach.

Imagine if even ten percent of the amateurs listed as data providers to the warehouse did the same - it would reach a lot of school students.

Keep up the good work.

Paul VK3DBP
Melbourne, Australia
Lauriston

Return to Schools