School Amateur Radio Clubs

The main aim of the FUNcube project is provide educationalists access to information about a real spacecraft in Low Earth Orbit. Please use this forum to discuss classroom projects and similar matters. FUNcube support is provided elsewhere in the forum.

Moderators: pa3weg, g4dpz, admin

School Amateur Radio Clubs

Postby SGAARC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:24 am

Please could I ask all school clubs to respond to this post with your school name, location and brief description of your club.

I am interested in seeing how many schools have an Amateur Radio club and looking at ways of encouraging other schools to join us. We don't currently have a permanent Amateur Radio station but once we do maybe we could look at starting a regular net for schools.

Thank you

Paul
M0HNF
SGAARC

Re: School Amateur Radio Clubs

Postby SGAARC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:36 am

I will start the ball rolling!

St George's Academy
Lincolnshire
England
IO93TB

Science and Amateur Radio club meeting every Monday after school to investigate all things Science and radio related. We are based on the Ruskington site giving all Academy pupils and staff the opportunity to become licenced Amateurs. We have just applied for a club call sign and hope to install antennas for HF and 2m over the summer break. So should soon be active on a few bands.

Paul
M0HNF
SGAARC

Postby SGAARC » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 am

Does the lack of responses mean there are no other school radio clubs?

Or do you not want to share your details with everyone?

Paul
M0HNF
SGAARC

Postby JohnG7OHO » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:56 am

Hi Paul
There are no longer any school amateur radio clubs here in Thanet, Kent, anymore. I retired a few years ago and no-one took the club over, M0DLI. I am however chairman of the local club, Hilderstone Radio Club, G0HRS and we have managed to obtain funding from Pfizer Ltd to purchase a FUNcube kit which schools in the area will be able to borrow. In October 50 primary science teachers have been invited to an INSET session on Space and Tim Peake's mission where I will be showcasing the FUNcube dongle and its capabilities. In November it will be the turn of the secondary schools. It will be interesting to see what the take-up will be!
I was at the AMSAT colloquium on Saturday where the FUNcube was featured amongst other amazing satellite projects. One encouraging thing was that the University of Surrey Electronics and Amateur Radio Society (EARS) has combined the two interests. Southampton too and our local university - the University of Kent at Canterbury. In fact our club has helped the students get their licence - probably sparked off by SDR.
You will have to try to contact Tim KG5BVI while he is on the ISS!
I liked your rocket fun on your school website.
John G7OHO
JohnG7OHO

Return to Schools