School Amateur Radio Club

The main aim of the FUNcube project is provide educationalists access to information about a real spacecraft in Low Earth Orbit. Please use this forum to discuss classroom projects and similar matters. FUNcube support is provided elsewhere in the forum.

Moderators: pa3weg, g4dpz, admin

School Amateur Radio Club

Postby SGAARC » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:00 am

Just a quick note to introduce ourselves.

We are a newly form, this Academic year School Amateur Radio Club. There are currently eight regular (Pupil) members who are all keen to become licenced Amateurs.

Tonight will be our first meeting where we can look at data received from the satellite. We should be able to view it live too!

Paul
2E0CUP
on behalf of St George's Academy Amateur Radio Club (SGA-ARC)
SGAARC

Re: School Amateur Radio Club

Postby g4dpz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Hello and welcome to the FUNcube project.

I see that you've already started to ask questions, the more that get asked here, the more people can see them and the answers.

The forum is monitored by the FC team several time per day but as you can imagine we're still commissioning the systems, so there may be small delays before we answer.

Cheers

Dave, G4DPZ
g4dpz

Postby G3XWH » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Hi Paul,

Did you see the reply I posted on the STELAR Schools' forum about the Keps?

Best of luck for tonight and please update afterwards to let us know how you got on. It's the STELAR AGM on Saturday so I will pass on the info. on your progress then.

Richard G3XWH
G3XWH

Postby SGAARC » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Tonights meeting went well apart the fact that I forgot it would be dark! Luckily the children spotted my mistake. Which is good as it shows they are taking it all in.

Just need to get a successful data export to the warehouse so they can see us listed. A fitter message for them would be good too!
SGAARC

Postby SGAARC » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:52 am

We now appear in the Upload Ranking list.

Does anyone know how many schools are active and where they are all from?
SGAARC

Postby G3XWH » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Excellent Paul,

If you look at the other topics in this section you will see that Paul VK3DBP from Lauriston Girls' School in Melbourne, Australia is active, so far you are the only two I have spotted.

Richard
G3XWH

Postby Lauriston » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:36 am

Hi, Paul. Not many schools active yet. We captured and uploaded frames on launch day, so I think we were the first school to do so. How have you been faring with the satellite? Where is your school?

Paul VK3DBP
Lauriston Girls' School
Melbourne, Australia
Lauriston

Postby SGAARC » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:47 am

Hi Paul

We had a bit of a late start as we don't have a dedicated area to use as a shack and my day job gets in the way a bit! I managed to find some space in a storage cupboard to locate a computer that could be left running 24/7 uninterrupted. However, I made a typing mistake when entering the warehouse access code so nothing was uploaded over the weekend.

All seems to be going well with receiving signals/data from the satellite. We haven't really done anything with the data yet though. I am still trying to make sense of the log files. I'm sure there must be an explanation and spec for it somewhere I just haven't found it yet!

We are located in Ruskington, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom. Our locator is IO93TB. There is currently only one licenced Amateur in school and that's me, 2E0CUP

How long as your school been involved in Amateur Radio?

Paul
SGAARC

Postby SGAARC » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:02 am

I had the data file specification all along!

It is in fun_downlink_data_draft_13.doc which is available from - http://funcubetest2.files.wordpress.com ... aft_13.doc

The title gives it away so dont know how I missed it.
SGAARC

Postby g4dpz » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:21 am

Hi,

This weekend, I'm going to be working on CSV downloads for RealTime & WOD data for the past 24 hours on the server.

We'll do the as a scheduled task every 24 hours to generate the files.

I'll let you know when the files are available to test.

- Dave
g4dpz

Next

Return to Schools