MSE questions from KC8YLD

The main aim of the FUNcube project is provide educationalists access to information about a real spacecraft in Low Earth Orbit. Please use this forum to discuss classroom projects and similar matters. FUNcube support is provided elsewhere in the forum.

Moderators: pa3weg, g4dpz, admin

MSE questions from KC8YLD

Postby g3vzv » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:28 pm

Graham,

Are there others out there trying to investigate or manipulate the data?

Mark and others here have truly inquisitive approaches to what you are doing, what others may be doing and in going extra steps to make the science more useful. That said here are some other questions that we hope will assist in doing that.

· On what panel are the bars mounted?
I will check which are the X and Y axis and get back to you

· What is the emissivity of the two bars, or if that isn’t available, perhaps a little more description of the surfaces? Is the shiny one chrome plated or is it just polished Al. Is the anodized one dull or smooth?
The two bars are both 6063T6 alloy. One is polished and then chrome plated - the other is satin and black anodized. The structure is also 1/2 black and 1/2 silver - see the many fotos. In this case they are both matt finished - one face silver anodised and one face black anodised

· In the DashBoard, what is being reported in the materials science experiment?Both the strips
What is the chassis temp (what is the chassis and where is the thermistor mounted), what is the panel temp (what is the panel and where is the thermistor mounted)?
The strips have a rear cut out in which the thermistor sits - see foto below

Which is the temp of the experiment bars? Which is the temp of the side bars?
uum so many questions:) we have 4 thermistors, one on each strip and one on each of the chassis members - again have a look at the fotos. !

· I made some crude guesses, but they aren’t good enough. What is the mass of the experiment bars?
2.40 gms

Sorry - over the years I think we have developed a number of different terms for the same things - we know what we are talking about but it must be confusing for newcomers...we will try to do better!

AO73
Graham

Thanks, again and. 73,

EMike

EMike McCardel, KC8YLD
VP for Educational Relations AMSAT-NA
Attachments
mse strip.jpg
mse strip.jpg (111.55 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
g3vzv

Re: MSE questions from KC8YLD

Postby Lauriston » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:26 am

Hi, Mark.

We have been collecting FUNCube data every day since launch day. I'll put an longer intro onto the forum to introduce ourselves. Meanwhile we would be very pleased to make contact with AMSAT and with other schools so we can learn from one another.

Paul VK3DBP
Lauriston Girls' School
Melbourne, Australia
Lauriston

Postby G3XWH » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Hello Paul,

Just to alert you to another school from here in the UK who are active on this board, Paul 2E0CUP from St George's Academy Amateur Radio Club (SGA-ARC) in the UK (see the other topic posts).

Interesting that you are a girls' school. I retired last year after 34 years running the station at Harrogate Ladies' College (G0HCA/GB2HC) here in the UK and in all the years we operated we only contacted one other girls' school and that was a further educational establishment in Russia.

Richard G3XWH
G3XWH

Postby Lauriston » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:33 am

Hi, Richard. I had a quick visit to Harrogate in October during a visit to see family and attend a university college reunion in Oxford. Great place!

I ran an amateur radio club at Mentone Girls' Grammar School in Melbourne between 1981 and 1997. We followed the UoSats using a BBC microcomputer and worked two-way via satellites.

I'll contact Paul at St George's.

Paul
Lauriston

Postby G3XWH » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:36 am

Hi Paul,

Great to hear from you and that you have made contact with the other Paul. I am surprised we did not make contact in the 80s/90s as we were active on OSCAR 10/13 etc. Our HLC space contacts are on www.G3XWH.com and my pm is mail@g3xwh.com

Richard G3XWH
G3XWH

Postby g3vzv » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Location of the MSE strips and the silver and black chassis members can be seen on this foto of the flight model

Z+ on the top, X- with the MSE strips facing, and Y+ on the left
(hint - the silver chassis members are covered with blue protective kapton tape in this foto)
Attachments
FUNcubeFMreda.jpg
FUNcubeFMreda.jpg (767.47 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
g3vzv

Return to Schools