FUNcube-1's 1st Birthday

The objectives of the FUNcube project are set out here.

Moderators: pa3weg, g4dpz, admin

FUNcube-1's 1st Birthday

Postby g3wgm » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:13 am

It seems amazing to us that FUNcube-1 – AO73, was launched nearly one year ago, in fact at 07:10 UTC on 21 Nov 2013. The very first signals were received by ZS1LS in South Africa at 07:37 UTC and he was even able to upload the resulting data to the Warehouse so the results could be seen immediately.

We are extremely happy to say that, since then, the satellite has been performing very satisfactorily, the battery voltage doesn’t drop below 8 volts, and becomes fully charged within about 7 - 10 minutes after re-entering sunlight from eclipse.

Thus, on 21 Nov 2014, we will be celebrating the satellite's first birthday. To mark the occasion, we will be activating the transponder earlier than normal - late on Thursday 20 Nov 2014, so that it will be available for use during the whole of Friday. So please make as many contacts as possible through the transponder during Friday, FUNcube's actual birthday. You are invited to make a note of any stations worked on this day, or any other comments on the FUNcube Forum. Please use the existing "FUNcube-1's Birthday" topic, under the Welcome heading. The URL of the Forum is index.php (ie simply 'reply' to this message).

Please also remember the '73 on 73' competition which is kindly being organised by Paul Stoetzer N8HM. See http://amsat-uk.org/2014/08/18/73-on-73 ... ouncement/ for more details.

We would like to take this opportunity of thanking all of our 'users', both those who download telemetry and forwarding it to the warehouse, and of course, all users of the transponder. This telemetry data is invaluable, both as an educational resource and to enable us to see how the spacecraft systems are performing and surviving. So far we have collected almost 400MB of unique data via stations from all around the world.

Of course we are hoping that the satellite continues to function nominally for several more years to come even though we may never reach AO7’s record!

73s AMSAT-UK and AMSAT-NL
g3wgm

Re: FUNcube-1's 1st Birthday

Postby N8HM » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:32 am

Happy Birthday, AO-73!

On the 0215Z pass over North America, I worked PV8DX and W7O. It was nice to work the special event station commemorating OSCAR 7's 40th birthday on FUNcube-1's 1st birthday.
N8HM

Postby N8HM » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:59 am

Worked AA5PK and heard W7O and KG5CCI on the 0352Z pass over North America. Won't make the morning passes, so that'll be it for my birthday activity!

Here's to many more birthdays!
N8HM

Postby wd9ewk » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:01 am

Hi!

It has been nice to have W7O, commemorating 40 years since the launch of OSCAR 7, working AO-73/FUNcube-1 passes commemorating its first anniversary. W7O has been on 3 passes covering the Americas this evening (early Friday, UTC time). Not many QSOs have been logged, a total of 7, but it has been fun to be on with the special call. Mike W4UOO in Florida worked the first two passes, and I worked the last of the 3 passes around 0530 UTC. W4UOO logged QSOs with 5 stations in the USA plus PV8DX in Brazil, and I logged a single QSO on the 0530 UTC pass.

W7O will be on the Friday morning and evening passes over here, hoping to work more stations and commemorating the long history of OSCAR 7 and the recent history of AO-73 on the AO-73 birthday, as well as other passes throughout the weekend and (for other satellites) Monday. Many thanks to AMSAT-UK and the FUNcube team for turning the transponder on full-time a day earlier than normal, to allow us to make QSOs before the weekend.

73!
Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK
wd9ewk

Postby g0mrf » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:18 am

Hi all.

Happy birthday FUNcube-1 / AO-73

37 million km travelled, and still sounding as good as new.

Managed to work PA3WEG in Delft this morning at 333km followed by G3WFM a few minutes later at 33km (!)

Best wishes

David G0MRF
g0mrf

Postby pa3weg » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:35 am

Already worked: G0MRF (David Bowman, PA board Designer) and Ken Eaton GW1FKY (AMSAT-UK member)
Recording http://pa3weg.nl/pa3weg/recordings/FUNcube-G0MRF-GW1FKY-PA3WEG-birthdayQSO-2014-11-21-1050UTC.mp3
FUNcube technical team member
pa3weg

Postby pb0ahx » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:38 am

Hello FUNcube team
congrats with the 1st year in orbit
i can only listening now
my antenne tower is in revision now
and now i listening on a dipool antenne and a funcub dongel pro+
ik hrd mni stations on funcube make a qso
ik hrd also PA3WEG in qso with G0MRF good signaals
73 de Herman PB0AHX Delft Netherlands
pb0ahx

Postby JanH » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:55 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY little FUNcube-1!

So pleased that I was privileged to hear some of your very first cries a year ago and even more pleased to hear that you are sounding so good on your 1st birthday!

Must not forget to congratulate all of those that have brought you to life and those who are still taking such good care of you! Including all those that follow your every move to record, forward, store and safeguard all the details of your well-being. Many friends you have, indeed :-)

With lightning and thunder at this QTH I may not be able to listen to you again later today, but this morning with an almost overhead pass (80 deg. elevation) you have sounded just great!

Congratulations again and vy 73 to all,

Jan
ZS6BMN
JanH

Postby wd9ewk » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Hi!

In keeping with the original request in this thread... here are the calls W7O worked on 3 passes over the Americas Thursday evening (early Friday, UTC time)....

On the 0213 UTC pass, W7O logged QSOs with Paulo PV8DX in northern Brazil, Paul N8HM in Washington DC, Wyatt AC0RA in Iowa, and George WI9I in Illinois. The W7O operator for this pass was Mike W4UOO, in Florida.

On the 0349 UTC pass, W7O logged QSOs with Glenn AA5PK in Texas and Dave KG5CCI in Arkansas. As with the 0213 UTC pass, the W7O operator was Mike W4UOO.

On the 0528 UTC pass, W7O logged one QSO, with Hector CO6CBF, operating as KF5YXV in Texas. The W7O operator for this pass was me - WD9EWK, in Arizona.

W7O should be on at least two AO-73 passes in the next couple of hours, with Ron W5RKN in Texas on the mic. These passes will be the last opportunities for W7O to work AO-73 on the 21st, on the UTC clock. W7O will continue to work other AO-73 passes this evening (early Saturday, UTC time) and throughout the weekend, commemorating the 40th anniversary of the launch of OSCAR 7 in 1974, as well as the first anniversary of the launch of AO-73.

73!
Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK
wd9ewk

Postby g0mrf » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:22 am

During the final two passes this evening I did a quick demo at the local radio club. Great to hear a very busy transponder over Europe.

1) Worked PA3WEG again. Nice signals from Wouter.
2) Also managed a QSO with EA1QS
3) And finally, someone I've heard on satellites a lot, but never worked until tonight. - 2E0SQL

Good to hear about the success of W7O celebrating 40 years of Oscar 7. Well done Patrick and the team in the USA.

Many happy returns

David G0MRF
g0mrf

Next

Return to Welcome