Weak Signals ???

For the early roll-out of the Dashboard

Moderator: pa3weg

Weak Signals ???

Postby M0BMN » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi All
First time posting, I have monitored Funcube for a while now but over the last week or so the signals seem very low to me and i am finding it hard to decode anything since the signals are so weak,
i have tried a couple of different setups this end, Funcube dongle, AR5000 scanner and others , i have used a normal 2m/70cms vertical and a turnstile that works great on the weather sats but finding problems with all passes, even ones that look like they should be giving good levels.

Anyone else having problems? i need to find a good working setup as i am about to setup a station at school and so need to find out why i have this problem all of a sudden.
regards
Paul M0BMN
M0BMN

Re: Weak Signals ???

Postby g3vzv » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi Paul,

I expect it is because, over the Christmas period, we have set the spacecraft to be in continuous amateur mode. this means that the transponder is operational 24/7 and the telemetry is only being transmitted with a downlink power of around 30mW rather than the usual 300mW.

I am pretty certain that this is why, with an omni antenna, you are not getting enough signal strength.

We plan to return FUNcube-1 to normal autonomous operation on Sunday evening. this will mean that, when the spacecraft is in sunlight, tit will be back in educational mode with the 300mW telemetry on.

Sorry if you have been inconvenienced!

best 73

Graham
G3VZV
g3vzv

Re: Weak Signals ???

Postby M0BMN » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:47 pm

Thanks for the info, i had seen the dashboard lock onto a signal a little higher in freq than normal on a couple of passes and thought i had heard voices, glad i didn't call the doctor now! Hi
thanks and happy new year
Paul
M0BMN

Return to Dashboard Software questions, problems and bug reports