Help please. Dashboard hanging.

For the early roll-out of the Dashboard

Moderator: pa3weg

Help please. Dashboard hanging.

Postby M0SAT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:43 pm

I am perplexed.

I have a TS2000 which I use with the latest dashboard software and it runs and I can leave it running all day to catch several passes and only very rarely does the software hang.

I have the FDC Pro + and when I use this with dashboard software it is hanging regularly, several times through one pass some times.

I have the FDC connected to my PC via a USB extension lead, but this lead has been changed several times to make sure it's not the lead. Also whichever USB lead I use I can use the FCD with SDR Console, SDR Sharp and other SDR software and none of them hang using exactly the same configuration as was used with dashboard. They work fine even without rebooting the PC between hanging of dashboard and starting other software.

I have also connected the FCD directly to the USB port of my PC and it still hangs.

I am sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but I haven't seen the thread.

I can't see it being the FCD or the cabling as it works with other software so what can it be.

Please help. I should have my 2000 and G5500 plumbed back in next week after 6 months of building work so can use this but I really want to use the FCD for what Howard spent all the blood, sweat & tears for......

All suggestions greatly welcomed. Frustrated of Watford

Dave M0SAT
M0SAT

Re: Help please. Dashboard hanging.

Postby Phlash » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi Dave,

Can you provide some more info on the 'hang' you are seeing?
- is the hang occuring along with high or low CPU usage?
- have you got (and would you be comfortable using) Process Explorer to look inside the Dashboard for hung threads?
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/ ... lorer.aspx

I suspect it's related to the status/tuning interface between the Dashboard and FCD, since a failure of the audio input would not 'hang' the whole application, the data would simply stop arriving.

Cheers,
Phil.
Phlash

Postby M0SAT » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:10 am

Hi Phil

Thanks for the reply.

Hang is occurring @ low CPU usage, usually 3 or 4% & less than 30% physical memory.

I run an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz with 8GB of Ram & usually very little other processes running. O/S is Windows 7 (64bit), service pack 1 and all updates installed & up to date.

I've not got Process Explorer but reviewing the link it looks reasonably intuitive. I will download, run and get some further information and post here.

Dave
M0SAT

Postby M0SAT » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:55 am

Phil

I have downloaded and used Process Explorer after recently Dashboard is running for 2-3 minutes before hanging.

For several weeks Dashboard worked and I couldn't get it to "fall over". I had changed nothing on my machine (excluding any Windows updates).

Then it started to freeze while waiting for the next AO-73 pass. If I started Dashboard manually just after AOS of AO-73 it would decode and operate flawlessly, then some time after LOS it would freeze again.

Recently this freezing has now been occuring during the pass.

So the dashboard is no longer usable without me being present and watching the screen and using task manager to close Dashboard before restarting again.

This morning I have been using Process Explorer and watching it while the pass is in process.

I am not sure how to set Process Explorer up to record/store a dump, etc. which I could post on here or email direct.

As I don't know your contact details please could you send me your email via PM (mine is M0SAT AT drownedrats.uk) and then perhaps you can help further. I am happy to call if you are happy to send me your phone number via PM?

If anyone else reading this can help then please feel free.

Thanks

Dave
M0SAT

********** H E L P *********

Postby M0SAT » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:23 pm

It's getting worse and hanging more frequently making decoding almost impossible.

Please advise.

Dave
M0SAT

Postby Phlash » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:55 pm

Hi Dave,

Apologies for the slow response - I was hoping that Process Explorer would show which thread(s) were stopping when the Dashboard hung - given that it's a low CPU hang, and likely some form of deadlock. Stack traces can be collected - details here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/ ... lorer.aspx

I'll give this a go myself when I'm back on a Windows system (Linux desktop at home), see if the GUI threads are identifiable from the native audio ones..

Thanks for your patience.

Edited as I have just noticed you are running 64-bit Win 7, and the Dashboard is built for a 32-bit target, so you may not have any luck getting stack traces out according to the linked page.. :(
Phlash

Postby Phlash » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi Dave - here's what I see with a working Dashboard - I can at this point suspend a thread (e.g. Dashboard.exe - highlighted), and the GUI stops responding, I can then collect the stack trace from the suspended thread (Stack button).

I would expect the top 6 threads in this screenshot to be similar to yours while everything is working, all 6 should be active, with the following purposes:

.NET runtime threads - likely that one of these is failing:
- wpfgfx_v0400.dll - Windows Presentation Framework (GUI rendering)
- Dashboard.exe - Primary application thread (file and network I/O and GUI updates)

Unmanaged threads:
- AudioLib.dll - Audio I/O and signal decoding (FFT etc.)
- portaudio.dll - x2 One input and one output thread in our chosen audio API library
- wdmaud.drv - Windows Driver Model audio device driver

Dashboard-ok.png
Dashboard-ok.png (73.46 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
Phlash

Return to Dashboard Software questions, problems and bug reports