New user FCD/dashboard questions

For the early roll-out of the Dashboard

Moderator: pa3weg

New user FCD/dashboard questions

Postby G4SSE » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi All,

We are running a new FCD pro plus with the dashboard on a windows 8 virtuabox VM, using the AMSAT UK turnstile mounted about 6 ft above ground level (in our garden). Using pretty much the defaults on the dashboard. Have not yet managed to decode any frames, though I can hear AO-73 on a good pass via the audio monitoring on the dashboard. I've tried on a number of occasions (and from a number of locations in the US and in the UK), but have not managed to decode any frames. All tests have been during daylight, the most recent was on Saturday 1st August with a 60 degree elevation pass of our house (north of London) at around 11 am. I'm assuming that the telemetry was running at full power this weekend, though there are some older posts that seemed to indicate that weekends favour the transponder....

Should I be able to decode some frames with an antenna at this height? Or will I need more height or a preamp? Are there any gotachas regarding running the dashboard in a VM? Should I be running it on a bare metal windows installation instead (can't see that this would be a problem, but still.....).

Thanks in advance for any advice....

... Jonathan,
G4SSE

Re: New user FCD/dashboard questions

Postby G4SSE » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:17 pm

OK, I can probably figure the rest out for myself, but can someone confirm that telemetry is only at low power over the weekends?

Cheers ... J
G4SSE

Postby G4SSE » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:45 pm

OK, so for future reference, don't try to run the software in a virtual machine. After finally getting a version of SDR # that didn't crash (couldn't find a stable version and the link in the dashboard release notes to SDR # was broken), a test against a local broadcast FM station resulted in _very_ garbled audio. This doesn't bode well for receiving Funcube telemetry.

I reinstalled everything on a Windows 10 machine running on the bare metal, rather than virtualised. Much happier. Even managed to grab a few frames of telemetry via the dashboard from a night time pass this evening.

.... J
G4SSE

Postby g3vzv » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi Jonathan,

I can confirm that the transponder is usually on at weekends and that in those circumstances the telemetry transmitter is only radiating low power..around 30mW.

That said with a turnstile you would normally expect to decode 10-20 frames per pass depending on the maximum elevation and your particular location. Not sure how long your coax is?

Good luck - please feel free to private email me if you wish

Graham
G3vzv at amsat.org
g3vzv

Return to Dashboard Software questions, problems and bug reports