Windows -10 Any problems?

For the early roll-out of the Dashboard

Moderator: pa3weg

Windows -10 Any problems?

Postby g3vzv » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:58 am

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone is having problems with their Dashboard installation after upgrading to Windows 10?

I have already updated two machines without any obvious difficulties but if you do find something odd then please post your observations here so that things can be checked!

Graham
G3VZV
g3vzv

Re: Windows -10 Any problems?

Postby wd9ewk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:36 pm

g3vzv wrote:Just wondering if anyone is having problems with their Dashboard installation after upgrading to Windows 10?

I have not had any problems with the Dashboard on my 8- and 10-inch tablets, after the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. In fact, I used my 8-inch HP Stream 8 tablet (1 GB RAM, 32 GB internal storage/C: drive) to upload over 110 packets to the FUNcube warehouse server in the past 45 minutes. I used the "full" AMSAT-UK setup - FUNcube Dashboard software, FUNcube Dongle Pro+, and the 2m crossed dipole sold on the AMSAT-UK web site. I plan on posting a short video to YouTube I recorded during the pass.

The only "problem" I'd say I have with the Dashboard software is not specific to Windows 10. Its installer limits installation to hard drives. On my tablets, I try to avoid installing non-OS software on the C: drive of my tablets, as those are small to begin with. I've mentioned this issue before:

http://forum.funcube.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=238

but haven't heard of a fix (or an update to the Dashboard software) to address this. Other than that, the CPU and limited RAM on these tablets doesn't appear to be an issue with the Dashboard software - with Windows 10, or Windows 8.1.

73!
Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK
wd9ewk

Postby g3vzv » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:54 pm

Hi Patrick,

Many thanks for the comprehensive report...

Nudge re installation drive letter is accepted...apologies that we have missed it before...There is a fair amount fo work going on inr egard to FC2 and Nayif versions so i will try to get a suitable option added during this work:)

Graham
g3vzv

Postby wd9ewk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi!

I just uploaded the video I made from the 1711 UTC AO-73 pass earlier today. I used my HP Stream 8 tablet with the FUNcube Dashboard software, FUNcube Dongle Pro+ (and USB On-The-Go cable), and the 2m crossed dipole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCHa4yEpopE

The tablet started out with Windows 8.1, but I upgraded it to Windows 10 last month. This was the first chance I had to copy the high-power telemetry with one of my tablets. I used the crossed dipole instead of my Elk log periodic, since the crossed dipole does a better job at copying the telemetry than my Elk log periodic antenna does when I hold it skyward. I saw no problems running the FUNcube Dashboard and the Firefox browser running at the same time. I had Firefox open, so I could catch my call on the FUNcube data warehouse web page during this pass.

73!
Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
wd9ewk

Postby wd9ewk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:00 pm

g3vzv wrote:Many thanks for the comprehensive report...

Glad to help! I just posted another message in this thread, with a link to the video I uploaded to YouTube showing the tablet and Dashboard software in action on that pass.

g3vzv wrote:Nudge re installation drive letter is accepted...apologies that we have missed it before...There is a fair amount fo work going on inr egard to FC2 and Nayif versions so i will try to get a suitable option added during this work:)

This seems like a simple tweak for the Dashboard installer - removing any limitations on what type of drive the Dashboard can be installed on. The Dashboard software is the only non-Microsoft or non-Windows program I have installed on my tablets' C: drives, and it really doesn't take up a lot of space.

Thanks again, and 73!
Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
wd9ewk

Postby kc4le » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:49 pm

Graham,

See my recent posts titled "Error msg: Sorry, unable to capture using funcube dongle"

Thanks,

Red
KC4LE
kc4le

Postby vk4cbw » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:20 am

I have just upgraded to windows 10 professional and after installing both the Funcube dashboard and the Nayif EO-88 dashboard I now no longer can view the spectrum of the received signal. The tuning panel is displayed but no visible indication of any received signal. The dashboard does decode the signal and displays the count of same at the bottom of the screen/window. This is the only way I can tell if I am successfully decoding the signal.
Assistance in resolving this issue to allow myself to view the spectrum again, greatly appreciated.
vk4cbw

Return to Dashboard Software questions, problems and bug reports