Uploading telemetry after AO-73 passes?

For the early roll-out of the Dashboard

Moderator: pa3weg

Uploading telemetry after AO-73 passes?

Postby wd9ewk » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi!

I have been using an SDRplay SDR receiver with satellites lately. Since it can't be directly controlled by software like the FUNcube Dashboard or AMSAT's FoxTelem programs, and my small Win10 tablets really don't do well when I try to run HDSDR and one of these programs, I don't normally upload telemetry in real time when I work these satellites. AMSAT has said it is OK if I do my AO-85 telemetry uploads after passes, not in real time, as its server can detect if I am accidentally uploading the same data more than once.

My question... does the FUNcube project have any issues if I were to upload telemetry from AO-73 after those passes, from the RF recordings I write with HDSDR? I don't want to just do this and ask for "forgiveness" later, if this approach is not OK with the FUNcube project.

Thanks in advance, and 73!
Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK
wd9ewk

Re: Uploading telemetry after AO-73 passes?

Postby g3vzv » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi Patrick,

No problem at all...your call will not appear on the left hand side of the warehouse display but your "score" will go up with each new record that you upload.

thanks for your support

Graham
G3VZV
g3vzv

Postby wd9ewk » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:44 pm

g3vzv wrote:No problem at all...your call will not appear on the left hand side of the warehouse display but your "score" will go up with each new record that you upload.

thanks for your support

Thanks for the quick answer, Graham! I wanted to make sure it was OK, and not throw off anything on the server or web site if I did the after-the-fact uploads. I normally work AO-73 with an SDR receiver, where I can capture the transponder and telemetry, so it will be nice to get the telemetry I copy up to your server.

73!
Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
wd9ewk

Postby wd9ewk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:22 am

Hi!

After getting the OK to upload AO-73 telemetry after passes, instead of real-time uploading, I tried this tonight, during a high pass over central Arizona.

20160228-0403UTC-AO73_pass-DM43bn.jpg
Pass prediction from AmsatDroid Free for AO-73 pass on 28 February 2016 at 0403 UTC, worked by WD9EWK in central Arizona (grid DM43bn)
20160228-0403UTC-AO73_pass-DM43bn.jpg (72.09 KiB) Viewed 1705 times

From my back yard, I used my Yaesu FT-817ND and SDRplay SDR receiver to work the transponder during this pass, both connected through a diplexer to my Elk Antennas handheld 2m/70cm log periodic. The SDRplay was feeding HDSDR, and I had HDSDR write an RF recording of the transponder and telemetry beacons.

WD9EWK_station-20160228.jpg
WD9EWK station for working AO-73 on 28 February 2015 at 0403 UTC - Yaesu FT-817ND for transmit; 8-inch Windows 10 tablet with HDSDR, and SDRplay receiver for receive. Not shown: Elk Antennas handheld 2m/70cm log periodic & 2m/70cm diplexer
WD9EWK_station-20160228.jpg (157.03 KiB) Viewed 1705 times

I made two QSOs during the pass, working Christy KB6LTY in southern California and Brent VE5SWL in Saskatchewan. I also heard Endaf KG6FIY (also licensed in the UK as MW1BQO), but I wasn't able to complete a QSO with him. After the pass, I played the RF recording made by HDSDR through a virtual audio cable into the FUNcube Dashboard.

In the past, when using a FUNcube Dongle Pro+ to copy AO-73 telemetry and upload it to the FUNcube data warehouse in real time, I would be lucky to decode 3 or 4 packets while the transponder was active. This evening was a lot better:

20160228-0404UTC-AO73_Telemetry.jpg
Screengrab from FUNcube Dashboard, after decoding telemetry received by WD9EWK during AO-73 pass on 28 February 2016 at 0403 UTC
20160228-0404UTC-AO73_Telemetry.jpg (144.83 KiB) Viewed 1705 times

I decoded 80 data frames!

I plan on doing this in the future, uploading any telemetry I receive after a pass, if I'm also working the transponder. It appears that HDSDR playing the telemetry data into the FUNcube Dashboard does a lot better. I ran HDSDR and the FUNcube Dashboard programs on a 10-inch Windows 10 tablet with 2 GB RAM.

I still like my FUNcube Dongle Pro+, and hope to set up an unattended station at home capable of copying telemetry from the FUNcube and Fox-1 satellites, using their respective software packages. When I'm looking to make QSOs on the transponders, or the FM repeater on AO-85, I like how the SDRplay has been performing. Since the FUNcube Dashboard and FoxTelem can't directly address the SDRplay, I will have to use a virtual audio cable from a program like HDSDR to feed the data into those packages, but it works well!

73!
Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
wd9ewk

Return to Dashboard Software questions, problems and bug reports