[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
forum.funcube.org.uk • View topic - Aerials

Aerials

For the early roll-out of the Dashboard

Moderator: pa3weg

Aerials

Postby g8kuz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi
Was wondering what aerials, antennas, people are using?
I am using a discone at the moment, seems to work better on low passes than on high passes.
I think a turnstile should be better, or perhaps a QFH.
Does anyone have dimensions/construction details for a QFH at 2mtrs?

Regards
John
g8kuz

Re: Aerials

Postby 2e0sql » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi John,

This topic might be more suitable for one of the general subtopic areas (Mods might be able to move it!).

I'm using Wimo X-Quads at 16ft above the ground,which is about what I can get away with on college campus here in central Oxford antennas are also pretty sheltered from S-SW-N due to buildings being in the way so need reasonably high passes in those directions however the FCD Pro Plus seems to be decoding telemetry on every pass tried :)

I've used QFH antennas for 137MHz APT weather satellite's with great success from this location, I did try a turnstile but never had much luck with mine but of course this might be different for amateur satellites!
Peter, 2E0SQL
2e0sql

Postby M0SAT » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:28 am

Hi John

See

also for an interactive design calculator see

I used to use one on 137 for Wx reception, outperformed turnstiles & discones admirably.

Good luck.

Dave
M0SAT

Postby g8kuz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks for the links.
I think a visit to B&Q to source all the bits is scheduled for tomorrow! ;~)

Regards
John
g8kuz

Postby Duncan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:17 pm

The measurements at http://jcoppens.com/ant/qfh/calc.en.php are what I used for mine, only I read that one of the loops should be smaller than the other (when viewed from above) so I guessed by how much, and ended up with a QFH tuned to 155MHz (checked with a VNA). So I would say use the figures from that site, but don't bother making one "loop" samaller than the other...

I have to say this was the first antenna I've ever built so I might not know what I'm talking about (although it did decode 18 packets sitting on the ground in the hotel carpark, even though its off tune)

Cheers,
Duncan.
Duncan

Return to Dashboard Software questions, problems and bug reports