Feature thoughts--mutliple instances of Dashboard

For the early roll-out of the Dashboard

Moderator: pa3weg

Feature thoughts--mutliple instances of Dashboard

Postby n8mh » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi Duncan,

Loving the dashboard. Nice work!

Hey, I find myself running multiple instances of the Dashboard. Even though I copied the directory and have run and configured the different copies of it, it still doesn't "remember" each of the configurations. For example, the last sound card selected is the one that comes up even in a different folder. Not sure I'm being clear...

Are configuration infos stored in the registry or what? It doesn't appear to be .config files that are saved in the folder...

Any thoughts about a bit more feature-rich config saving that would better accommodate multiple running instances? :) I know it works, but it demands setting up each session each time they are started...thanks! I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but thought I'd speak up...even it's really low on the list.

Mark N8MH
n8mh

Re: Feature thoughts--mutliple instances of Dashboard

Postby Duncan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:04 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback, for configuration we are using the standard .net way of doing things (which does leave some room for improvement) so currently the configuration is on a per user basis in the folder:

\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\FUNcube.org.uk\Dashboard.exe_StrongName_5i2hbpm0wl0q34bhh2m0gkhmmbh1ww3t\[version]

Before the application was signed with a strong name (rev 800) the application would use the a different configuration file for each folder that it was run from, however this ment that settings could not be migrated from one version to the next, as the application is now signed with a "strong name" all versions share the same root folder and so settings are preserved.

I see a couple of workarounds that might let you keep different settings, either use two different versions 806 and 809 this should save the settings in different files, or run the same version but as different user... I haven't tried, but a shortcut with something like:

runas /user:A_DIFFERENT_USERNAME dashboard.exe

Would prompt for the users password then fire up the dashboard.

I guess alternatively we could switch to having per Application settings rather than per User, I will have to investigate the effects of such a change...

Cheers,
Duncan.
Duncan

Re: Feature thoughts--mutliple instances of Dashboard

Postby n8mh » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:27 am

Thanks for considering the request, Duncan. I had thought about the two different versions, but figure you are working hard to update for a reason ;)

I'll be happy to test something, should you experiment!

Mark N8MH
n8mh

Return to Dashboard Software questions, problems and bug reports