Waterfall Display or help with audio output

For the early roll-out of the Dashboard

Moderator: pa3weg

Waterfall Display or help with audio output

Postby AussieSusan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:28 am

Is there a way to get the dashboard to display a waterfall rather than the waveform across the received audio spectrum?

Basically I can detect the BPSK signal far more easily on a waterfall than I can looking at the signal/noise peaks on the waveform display.

Alternatively, is there a way to have the Dashboard control the FCD Pro+ and then route the audio out to (say) a virtual cable so that I can try to hook (say) SDRconsole up to that?

(Dashboard is V809 and a first-time installation)

Susan VK3ANZ
AussieSusan

Re: Waterfall Display or help with audio output

Postby Duncan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:58 am

Hi Susan, I agree it is easier to spot the signal on a waterfall, but I have to say that at the moment, it is not a priority for the dashboard...
You do not need virtual cables etc... The way I do it is to first fire up SDR# and start capturing with the device set to FCD Pro+, then start the dashboard and "Capture from FCD" this will re-tune the dongle to the frequency in the dashboard settings.
SDR# doesn't spot that the dongle has been retuned so the displayed numbers are wrong but the waterfall display still works.

Cheers,
Duncan.
Duncan

Postby AussieSusan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:53 pm

Hello Duncan,

And that was the 'trick' - I was using the SDR V2 software from the FunCube site and it takes control of the FunCube Dongle so that it was 'greyed out' in the "capture" menu on the dashboard. The SDR# software doesn't do that and so they can 'share".

Thanks

Susan
AussieSusan

Postby Duncan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:53 am

Glad to hear you got it sorted... If you are on Windows 7/8, feeling adventurous and want to get other applications sharing the dongle you can try:

Control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Manage audio devices -> Recording ...

Now click properties of the FCD device, on the "Advanced" tab there is a checkbox:

"Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"

If you uncheck this then other applications should play nicely (or not work at all, you can always tick it again though!)

Cheers,
Duncan.
Duncan

Postby n8mh » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:01 pm

As another approach--- I use SDR Radio V2.1 to control the FCP+ and output (Playback Device) the audio to VB Audio Virtual Cable. This provides full Doppler control and automated recordings of AO-73. Use USB and and a filter in the 2400-3200 Hz range. Automated recording is so very nice, and the main reason I do it this way (along with recording the entire passband of the linear transponder and QSOs at the same time in the evening!!)

Then, in Dashboard, the input device is the above mentioned output--VB Audio Virtual Cable--and you are off and running. Set the auto tune range for something like 100/3200 or even 100/3000.

Seems like the Dashboard has quite an automatic audio input level system, as it works over a large range of audio settings.

As the Keps are getting better, there is less manual tuning needed during a pass. Should something go awry, rest assured you have the recordings to playback when you're in the shack!

73!
Mark N8MH
n8mh

Return to Dashboard Software questions, problems and bug reports