[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
forum.funcube.org.uk • View topic - running hdsdr and dashboard simultaneously

running hdsdr and dashboard simultaneously

For the early roll-out of the Dashboard

Moderator: pa3weg

running hdsdr and dashboard simultaneously

Postby w5sxd » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:44 pm

I am using FCD++ with ExtIO_FCDPLUS_G0MJW.dll and hdsdr.

Is it ok to run the dashboard simultaneously?

Thanks,

Richard W5SXD
w5sxd

Re: running hdsdr and dashboard simultaneously

Postby G4ZFQ » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:23 pm

Normally Windows allows multiple access to a sound device.
I've used two programs at the same time with the FCD but not the Dashboard.

There is certainly no harm in trying, use the same sample rate.
73 Alan.
G4ZFQ

Postby w5sxd » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks, Alan.

Does the dashboard set the frequency of the FCD more than once?

Sample rate is set to 96000 or 192000?

It seems to work but since I currently don't get good data very often, it is hard for me to tell if hdsdr is affecting the acquisition. But it's sure nice to have the hdsdr waterfall.

Richard
w5sxd

Postby Duncan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi Richard,

The dashboard will tune the dongle once when start capture is selected, and again if the frequency is changed in the settings display...
The dashboard is continually reading the dongle frequency, changes made by other apps will be apparent if you check the settings display.

Cheers,
Duncan.
Duncan

Postby G4ZFQ » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:25 am

Yes, I was forgetting frequency control.
When you start HDSDR do not select the FCD DLL.
HDSDR will not be calibrated unless you enter the LO manually but will show the waterfall.
G4ZFQ

Postby w5sxd » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks, guys.

If I start hdsdr first with ExtIO_FCDPLUS_G0MJW.dll, set the LO to the same frequency as dashboard, then start dashboard, all appears to work fine. I got/uploaded about 10 frames (5 s) of data whilst running in parallel. That's about my average with eggbeater and no masthead preamp(yet). Nice to see the waterfall.

I can actually change the LO in hdsdr and it translates to dashboard. Is there any way to show/modify the settings sent to the FCD++? I am about to add a masthead preamp and may want to experiment wth the best gain settings in the FCD++.

Great fun!

Richard W5SXD
w5sxd

Postby g0mjw » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:51 pm

You don't need to set the frequency with the dashboard or HDSDR. Mike Ruprect DK3WN has developed a satellite package Satcontrol http://www.dk3wn.info/software.shtml which will control the frequency via the DLL based on the TLEs. It will do a lot more besides.

You can also control the frequency via SATPC32 and HDSDR. All that is needed is to set the dongle LO once, to some useful frequency like 145.925 where it can remain fixed. You can use the FCDHID program also. The rest can be done with the dashboard tuning range, or HDSDR or SDRSharp. Just don't tell them it is a funcube dongle; make them think it is a sound card so they don't all fight for the tuning dial.

The good thing about using DK3WNs tuning programme is it will compensate for the Doppler. That will allow narrower filters and help prevent the dashboard automatic tuning becoming distracted by interference.

Mike
g0mjw

Postby G3VDB » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:52 pm

DK3WN Doppler Correction Software

I took a few moments to find this program. The download is at the bottom of the page .

You will have to edit your Lat and Long (and height) in the sat.ini file, and add the TLE parameters for Funcube-1 (AO-73) to the amateur.txt file following the style of other entries.

The doppler.sqf file is text also. The format is probably fully described somewhere, but it contains satellite names, frequencies, modes and tracking direction for a particular receive frequency. Again you must add an entry for Funcube-1 (AO-73) (using the same name as you used in the TLE file).

I find the program crashes on some of the menu items (eg TLE download). I must be missing a required DLL. That may be described on DK3MNs site but I have not looked for it yet, as the program does track the orbit and the basic doppler correction does change the FC Pro Plus VFO.

Hope that helps some other new visitor

[Posting edited to include Lat and Long position]

G3VDB
Jim Evans
Chelford, Cheshire
G3VDB

Postby w5sxd » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:55 pm

I have used Mike's program and it works well. However, I have switched back to my own GrafTrak derivative as it updates hdsdr 50 times per second which makes for very smooth doppler corrections. I have not used it for that yet on AO-73 letting dashboard find the signal.

I start hdsdr with it's LO set to 145.925 and then start dashboard. No FCD changes get done and it all works smoothly. Currently I need passes with elevation greater than 40 degrees to get the signal level needed for decodes. My masthead preamp, due next week, should improve that situation by 5-10 dB.

Thanks for the help, gentlemen.

Richard W5SXD
w5sxd

Postby g0mjw » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:33 pm

I have been running the dashboard and SDR# at the same time for several days now to see if there is a difference and protect against further dashboard crashes.

The FCDPro+ is controlled by the first instance of the dashboard which captures a signal appearing between 55-65kHz.

SDR# thinks the FCD is a sound card and the USB demodulator is set to 10kHz bandwidth. The demodulated audio feeds into a second instance of the dashboard via a virtual audio cable.

The second dashboard instance that is receiving audio from SDR# consistently decodes a few more packets. I put this down to a problem with the dashboard AGC.

SDR# has the AGC disabled. The dashboard level jumps up and down, depending on signals in the entire passband, not just the selected tuning range. Can the dashboard AGC be turned off?

Mike G0MJW
g0mjw

Next

Return to Dashboard Software questions, problems and bug reports